We have a team of volunteers helping us to provide HIV Support and Prevention services across Calderdale and Kirklees.
Safeguarding underpins our approach to delivering services, working with service users and the recruitment of staff, sessional workers and volunteers.
Volunteering is central to our work. Volunteering brings a range of benefits to our volunteers, organisation, and the communities we work with. We provide full training and support.
We have recently been awarded two local quality awards for volunteering which recognises how well we work with volunteers. This summer we were awarded The Investors In Volunteering award, a national quality award.
In the last year, Brunswick Centre volunteers have:
- Produced 1000’s of condom packs meaning we have ample supplies for our HIV prevention outreach
- Packed hundreds of condoms by post packs ensuring people across Calderdale and Kirklees have access to free condom supplies
- Assisted with outreach at public sex environments, the local sauna and adult cinema meaning we reach more people more often
- Supported staff in the delivery of the children and parents group ensuring the group runs smoothly and everyone is engaged
- Supported staff with the out of hours HIV testing service including the delivery of this service on Saturdays and Sundays making a contribution to the 700-plus HIV tests we delivered in the past year
- Assisted with awareness stalls at events across Calderdale and Kirklees engaging people around HIV awareness, sexual health and HIV prevention
- Offered admin support in our office and at meetings, taking and producing the minutes ensuring we have a record of proceeding and freeing staff from admin roles
- Guided and supported the organisation through trustee meetings ensuring there is scrutiny and oversight on what the charity is doing making sure we provide effective services and meet our targets
- Been given opportunities to undertake roles which improve skills and experiences, meet new people and make a difference
A huge thank you to all our volunteers for their support and commitment to the Brunswick Centre
Reasons to volunteer
- Help people live well with HIV
- Give something back
- Learn new skills and get experience in the sexual health field
- Improve self confidence
- Meet new people
- Be part of a diverse team
- Have some fun and make friends
What our volunteers say about volunteering
Wendy Lewis - HIV Support team volunteer
"Volunteering for the Children and Family group is really fun and rewarding. As a volunteer your role is to support and engage with the families to make sure they have the best possible time and make some really amazing memories. Its a real chance to make a difference to families whilst using my existing skills and developing new ones. You just need lots of enthusiasm and a willingness to get stuck in!"
Priscilla - HIV Prevention Volunteer
"This is probably the best voluntary opportunity I have embarked on, the environment encourages learning and development."
"With training, supervision and job satisfaction there are numerous opportunities to achieve work experience and learning together improving confidence and interpersonal skills."
"I have found volunteering at the Brunswick Centre, very rewarding and enjoyable in such a respectful and friendly environment empowering me to be involved in decision making by attending team meetings."
Jamie Styler - HIV Prevention Volunteer
"The induction weekend was an opportunity to gain valuable training and experiences, the weekend was so well organised and pitched well. Everybody really bonded and it gave me an opportunity to get to know other people and expand my skills so I felt confident and empowered to start my volunteering role."
"Since starting volunteering I have gained so much, I always have Anne with me which is invaluable in gaining the confidence to communicate with people when doing outreach."
"Summing up, the complete process with the Brunswick Centre has been such an exciting one and I am looking forward to continuing my volunteering with them and allowing myself to grow as a person."
John Young - HIV Prevention Volunteer
"Volunteering at the Brunswick Centre is great. It is a fun and friendly place where I feel valued and part of the team."
"I help with HIV and sexual health awareness at public sex environments. One of my main roles is preparing condoms. We get to do this as a group so its a great chance to chat and have some fun."
Currently there are no volunteering opportunities available