If you are worried about a child or young person

If you think you or a child or young person in Calderdale or Kirklees is being abused or mistreated, or you have concerns about a child’s wellbeing, you should call and speak to someone on one of the following numbers:


During Office hours - 01422 393 000

Out of Office hours - 01422 288 000


01484 456 848

Call 999 if the child is at immediate risk or call the police on 101 if you think a crime has been committed.

  • Duty & Advice team: 01484 456848
  • NSPCC Helpline: 0808 800 5000
  • NSPCC email: help@nspcc.org.uk
  • NSPCC text: 88858 (free service)
  • Childline: 0800 1111

Here's a list of helplines available if you're in crisis and need to talk to somebody:

  • Samaritans. To talk about anything that is upsetting you, you can contact Samaritans 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can call 116 123 (free from any phone)
  • Switchboard. If you identify as LGBTQ+, you can call Switchboard on 0300 330 0630 (10am–10pm every day) or use their webchat service. Phone operators all identify as LGBTQ+.
  • SANEline. If you're experiencing a mental health problem or supporting someone else, you can call SANEline on 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm–10.30pm every day).
  • National Suicide Prevention Helpline UK. Offers a supportive listening service to anyone with thoughts of suicide. You can call the National Suicide Prevention Helpline UK on 0800 689 5652 (6pm to midnight every day).
  • Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM). You can call the CALM on 0800 58 58 58 (5pm–midnight every day) if you are struggling and need to talk. Or if you prefer not to speak on the phone, you could try the CALM webchat service.
  • Shout. If you would prefer not to talk but want some mental health support, you could text SHOUT to 85258. Shout offers a confidential 24/7 text service providing support if you are in crisis and need immediate help.
  • The Mix. If you're under 25, you can call The Mix on 0808 808 4994 (3pm–midnight every day), request support by email using this form on The Mix website or use their crisis text messenger service.
  • Nightline. If you're a student, you can look on the Nightline website to see if your university or college offers a night-time listening service. Nightline phone operators are all students too.