Promoting Better LGBTQ+ Mental Health
Mind Your Head was launched in 2020 to promote better mental health and wellbeing for LGBTQ+ communities in Calderdale and beyond. It is in partnership with Happy Valley Pride.
In the midst of the pandemic, we joined forces to do something to raise awareness of these issues and encourage people to seek support when needed. It started with an online panel event in December 2021 and the campaign has grown considerably since then!
LGBTQ+ people are more likely to have mental health issues yet are less likely to seek help. The campaign aims to raise awareness of the issues around LGBTQ+ mental health and provide access to local, regional and national resources.
Our online hub has hints and tips for wellbeing and many links to organisations that can provide advice and support. There are also a number of real-life stories that demonstrate the benefit of seeking help and much more. Visitors can rewatch past events and find out more about what’s coming up!
The forthcoming Info Fair at Big Day Out as part of Happy Valley Pride 2023 will focus on Mind Your Head and mental health and wellbeing. Participants will include Healthy Minds Calderdale, LGBT Foundation and more. There is also the chance to have a free massage, so please do pop by! Also as part of the festival there will be an online event on neurodiversity.
Additionally, counselling sessions are available and there will be a radio drama workshop exploring themes of mental health for LGBTQ+ young people in Calderdale in August.
Some highlights so far include:
- Online talks by high-profile guests including award-winning writer of the book Straight Jacket Matthew Todd, writer and influencer Alexis Caught and writer and performer Yaz Necati
- A podcast series featuring guests including human rights activist Peter Tatchell, singer/songwriter Horse McDonald, performer Kate O’Donnell and many more.
- Online keep fit class with Carl Harrison from Camp Fit!
- Mental Health First Aid training
- Guided relaxation sessions
You can access these on the online hub
So there are plenty of ways to get involved, and more coming soon! So take a look.
The Brunswick Centre Interim Operations Manager
Mind Your Head Project Manager